My Blog List

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Penne with Fried Sage and Butternut Squash

Attempted a new pasta recipe, I think it came out well enough. My tiny apartment smelled pretty good so I think that's a good sign.

Penne with Fried Sage and Butternut Squash


Ingredients:

  • 1 box of penne pasta (please use Barilla, my Italian professors would shoot me had I done otherwise). 
  • 1 red onion thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
  • 1 butternut squash diced into 1 inch cubes
  • 8-10 fresh sage leaves
  • parmesan
  • salt, pepper, and olive oil
Preparation:
  • Blanch the squash for several minutes in boiling water to soften it, remove and set aside.
  • Fry sage leaves in olive oil for one minute, transfer to a paper towel when done.
  • Combine olive oil, garlic, and onions and heat for a few minutes until the onions become opaque. Add squash and 3/4 of a cup of water. Add salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, boil the pasta al dente (to the teeth people!)
  • Combine the pasta with the squash mixture in a large bowl, mix well and begin to shower the dish with parmesan. When you think you've added enough cheese, add more. Then, add a bit more. Finally, sprinkle with the fried sage and serve it up.
Oh most importantly, eat this dish with copious amounts of wine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment