My Blog List

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Bends vs. My Pride

As I sit here on my lunch break with my water, my apple, my PB&J I think to myself Jessica, I am proud of you. I am proud that despite the minor hiccups along the way, you always try to make healthy decisions. "Try" being the operative word here. I try to be conscious of what I put into my body, who I let into my life, how I care for others. Sometimes I fail. Sometimes more often than not, I fail. But sometimes it's the experience of failing, the feeling of failure that reminds us that we are human. The blemishes and the scars you pick up along the way help grow your compassion for others. I am a firm believer in my imperfection and the imperfection of others.

At times, I get the bends, as Thom Yorke would belt out, or the mean reds, as Holly Golightly would chatter. But the bends or the reds, they're transient, just temporary. My pride, my zest for life, those are permanent.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful posts Jessica! I'm loving the fact that somebody else refers to brief boughts of depression as "the bends". Thom Yorke can be my second baby daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoooot gurl, he and Audrey Tautou would make the perfect 'depression'...small and dark and delicate and french and lyrical. I think I'd take that over 'happy' anyday lol. I love reading your blog as well, I find myself delving deeper into your posts, they're great!

    ReplyDelete