My Blog List

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hail to the Thief, the dollar thief






Working at a high school is strange. It seems that every single day one of the students will say something that makes me want to A) Cry B) Vomit or C) Laugh hysterically. Earlier this week Jose looked at me with my morning coffee and said "Ayy Mizz, why come you never bring one for me?" I told him that I couldn't afford to buy one for him everyday. He stared at me with a straight face and said "But you're an adult Mizz, you're rich."

In this situation I choose options A and C, I wanted to cry and laugh simultaneously. These 15 and 16 year olds have no idea what it means to be "grown up." Their perception of reality is so skewed at this age.

This morning on my way to the copy machine I found a dollar lying on the ground. I looked around, nobody in the halls...I picked it up and held it in my hand. I walked with it in my hand all the way back to the classroom, like I was scared that if I actually shoved it in my pocket it would make me the thief I knew that I was. I did feel a little badly, but inside my head I was thinking Great Success, now I can buy coffee tomorrow morning!

O little Jose, if you only knew...

No comments:

Post a Comment