My Blog List

Thursday, April 22, 2010

SB 1070 Arizona:

To the high school where I work, Maryvale, and all of the local high schools that organized "walk-outs" today in protest of potential legislation regarding a person's legal status, I salute you. I'm proud of the students that participated, I hope you actually made it to the Capital!


These were my sentiments earlier today, this is what I wrote on my Facebook account. I felt passively passionate about it, if that's possible, if that makes sense? I think what I mean is that I felt instantly proud and glad that the high school students were taking part, taking action in something more meaningful than the latest cell phone craze. The entire school was abuzz today with political talk and helicopters and police patrol cars. But doubt began to fill my mind when I realized that some of kids merely ran out of school without knowing why, running for the nearest fast food joint, running home to take a nap. Many students couldn't understand why they were even following the crowds, what the implication of such legislation could even mean. On one hand I want to believe that they believe, on the other I know that some of them don't. At this age they are like little sheep that blindly follow whoever seems to be standing in front of the crowd, whoever can scream the loudest or act the coolest.

As the day carried on I began to doubt my convictions, I wondered how strongly I felt about this issue. However, when I got home from work I was pleasantly relieved to find that my gumption had not left me entirely, it had only taken a back seat to doubt. My younger sister arrived home from work and I asked her if she had watched the news, if she knew what was going on. We proceeded to get into a lengthy fight, her absolute disregard for humanity, her racism, her IGNORANCE ignited a whole new fight in me. She had the audacity to say things like "racial profiling is ok, singling somebody out based on the color of their skin isn't racism." I was shocked and yet I wasn't, she is another who blindly follows, much like some of the students only she's walking in the opposite direction.

I hope that regardless of your political ideals or sentiments on illegal immigration, to those that don't understand that this is a form of racism, I urge you to think deeply and contemplate the implications of such an action.

2 comments:

  1. A couple of days ago, one of my friends had "If I hear one more person say 'Now I'm not racist, but...' I'm going to seriously lose my shit" as his facebook status. I think everyone in Arizona is going a little crazy right now.

    I referenced an old Simpsons episode on my page (because all I do is make jokes... in case you haven't noticed) that was written when Proposition 187 (similar in scope to SB1070) in California passed back in the 90's. The courts made quick work of that idiotic legislation and I have no doubt they'll do the same with this bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, we were discussing it today in the student's English class and basically the teacher said "ya know nothing is law until the courts have upheld it too..." and he's right...I really hope this stops at some point along the way.

    ReplyDelete