My Blog List

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

From One Driver to Another:


From "Adultette" to full-fledged adult, well, I'm working on it. Today I took a giant leap into the big kids pool, I didn't just dip my toe in and swish it around, I didn't slowly ease my body into the water and cling to the edge. I started from 50 feet back and took off running, sliding over cool decking and all, to plunge head first into the deep end. The life guard was yelling and I didn't care. As of today I am the owner of a brand new, 2010 loaded Honda Civic LXS.

In the sticky summer sun I handed over my old keys to a young girl about to start college. She was so sweet and eager to have a car of her own, I knew instantly that the little SUV that got me through high school and college, through make-outs and make-ups, was being driven away in perfectly naive hands. I hope that she smokes pot or gets it on or sings incessantly at the top of her lungs in that car with all of the wanton abandon that it was meant for.

While she's getting her freak on in the back seat of that old SUV I'm going to be freaking out about every spill and dent and bump that my new car accumulates. From adultette to adult, I think my new powerful engine will help me make a smooth transition ;)

1 comment:

  1. I love my Civic. Good choice.

    Did you know that's what you were getting when you left to buy a car or were seduced once you saw it on the lot?

    ReplyDelete